The internet holds a wealth of information, has literally billions of users worldwide but also contains some really interesting internet statistics and facts. For example, half of the U.K.’s population would be willing to receive their online shopping via drone. This information may seem strange, quirky even, however, it’s relevant in one form or another.
Whether you’re an internet user, website owner, or run a business online, it’s important to know what’s ‘going on’ around the internet, what’s trending, and what’s not. In order to help you succeed in 2018, we’ve put together a helpful and interesting selection of internet facts and statistics for you to gawp at, and share with others!
Facts and Statistics
General Internet Statistics – 2018
- As of 1st January 2018, the total internet users across the world was 4,156,932,140 (that’s over 4 billion users)
- 2 billion of the world’s internet users are located in Asia, where their population is just over equal to the total internet users across the world
- In January 2018, data reveals that 3.2 billion internet users were also social media users
- As of January 2018, the world’s population was estimated to be around 7,634,758,428. Over half of the world’s population is using the internet
- On 10th April 2018, there were over 1.8 billion websites recorded on the internet
- In 2018, China has the most active internet users in the world, at 772 million users. In the year 2000, this figure was around 22.5 million
- Some of 2018’s top Google searches included iPhone 8, iPhone X, How to buy Bitcoin, and Ed Sheeran
Social Media – 2018
- As of January 2018, Facebook alone had 2.2 billion monthly active users. Facebook was the first social media website to reach over 1 billion accounts
- YouTube users in 2018 have surpassed the 1.5 billion mark, making YouTube the most popular website for viewing and uploading videos in the world
- There are now over 3.1 billion social media users worldwide in 2018, which is an increase of around 13% compared to 2017
- Comparing January 2018 to January 2017 figures, Saudi Arabia is the country with the largest social media usage increase at an estimated 32%
- Instagram is most popular in the USA and Spain accounting for around 15% of total social media usage in these countries in 2018
- In France, Snapchat is the second most popular social media user account in 2018, with around 18% of users countrywide
- Facebook continues to be the fastest growing social media network, with around 527 million increase in users over the last 2 years, followed closely by WhatsApp and Instagram at 400 million
- In 2018, 90% of businesses are using social media actively
- 91% of social media users are using their mobile phones, tablets, and smart devices to access social media channels
- Nearly 40% of users would prefer to spend more money on companies and businesses who are engaging on social media
Websites and Web Hosting – 2018
- As of 2018, WordPress powers 28% of the world wide web with over 15.5 billion page views each month
- Apache hosting servers are used by 46.9% of all available websites, followed closely by Nginx at 37.8%
- 2018 sees 52.2% of website traffic accessed and generated via mobile phones
- In the last 5 years, since 2013, website traffic accessed by mobile phones has increased by 36%
- As of January 2018, Japan’s share of website traffic mainly comes from laptops and desktop computers at a measured 69%, compared to 27% on mobile phones
- With over a billion voice search queries per month, voice is estimated to be a high trending digital marketing strategy in 2018.
- Google is the most popular search engine and visited website recorded in 2018, with over 3.5 billion searches each day
- Website loading times are now considered a ranking factor in Google. You can find our best web hosting companies here.
eCommerce Internet Statistics – 2018
- In the U.K. for 2018, ZenCart has the biggest market share with over 17% of .uk web address extensions using the software provider
- In the U.S. as of February 2018, over 133 million mobile users used the Amazon app, compared to 72 million users accessing the Walmart app
- Nearly 80% of online shopping results in abandoned carts, but we have some handy tips to ensure you can recover your marketing strategy
- 2018 sees a 13% increase in eCommerce sales since 2016, with the majority of sales being recorded in the U.S. and China
- 80% of U.K buyers use online commerce research before purchasing a product online or offline
- Under 33% of U.K. consumers want to pay more for faster delivery, but 50% said they would be willing to accept delivery via drone
- An estimated 600,000 commercial drones will be in use by the end of 2018 in the U.K. alone
Domain Names – 2018
- As of April 2018, there are just over 132 million registered .com domain names
- In the month of January 2018 alone, there were 9 million registered .uk domain names.
- 68 million copyright infringing URLs were requested to be removed by Google in January 2018, with 4shared.com being the highest targeted website
- 46.5% of websites use .com as their top-level domains
- Approximately 75% of websites registered are not active but have parked domains
- From 1993 to 2018, the number of hosts in the domain name system (DNS) has more than doubled, reaching over 1 billion
Download this infographic.